Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thing #8

I really enjoyed setting up RSS. This is one that could possibly get addictive. There are so many things out there that I'd like to read about and usually don't simply because I don't have the time. Having them sent directly to one location that I can access with quick clicks makes this more doable, but I can see myself reading instead of doing other things that need to be done. I set up my RSS to get several library related blogs and a blog on nonfiction books and one on elementary reading. I also set up my blogs to receive a couple of daily recipes. I love to cook and am always looking for new recipes to try. I haven't done it yet, but I plan on also adding some traveling sites to my RSS as well.

I think RSS is helpful in my career because it cuts down the time I might spend looking for something important and valid to read. Instead, the information is at my fingertips and I didn't have to do any of the leg work. I am sure there are some feeds I signed up for that I will end up discontinuing, and others that I haven't found yet that I will like; however, once it is set up the way I want it to be, I think it will be extremely useful. I think this is something I will show the teachers I work with also. Some teachers will really enjoy this feature. Personally, I love to cook and travel. Sometimes I will go on the internet and search for 20 or 30 minutes for a new recipe to try. This will definitely end that since I have signed up to receive 3 different daily recipes. Obviously, there will be some that I will not even consider, but if I even get one new recipe a week that makes it worth it. I haven't set up any traveling feeds yet, but my hope is to find something on traveling with kids or family traveling and be able to find new destinations and great deals that I would have otherwise missed.

Teachers/administrators/librarians, and really any professional can and should take advantage of RSS. I know that my husband will probably start using this in his line of work as well. How helpful to have the news about topics you pick sent directly to you without you having to scan entire magazines, blogs, newspapers, etc to find it. Also, if several people in your related field are all trying it out, when one person finds something good, they can share it with others that will also find it important or useful. Again, there will probably have to be some discerning to find the feeds that have the information that you want, but once you've figured out which feeds are the best for you, why wouldn't you set this up? I definitely still have some tweaking to do on mine, but I know in a matter of days it will be set up the way that is best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment